The Senior Citizens Center of the Greater Dayton Area opened in 1956 at a donated storefront at 210 South Main Street in Dayton with a Director and two part-time assistants. Seniors now had a place with opportunities for fun activities and constructive use of leisure time, a centralized place for public education and training on aging, and a hub to find referrals to community resources. Eleven seniors joined on the day the doors opened and eighteen months later there were 430 members.
In 1969, the organization settled into the specially designed building at 105 S. Wilkinson Street, designed by Levin & Porter Architects, and continued as a senior citizen's center. When it became obvious there was a significant need for home-based services in Dayton and surrounding areas, Senior Resource Connection adapted to meet the needs of home-bound seniors with great social and economic need.
SRC serves approximately 15,000 seniors, special needs adults, and their caregivers each year.